Singapore - finding my way around

There's still one thing I need to get around to fully enjoy this place: jetlag.
It keeps me awake at night and wakes me up way too early. But slowly I'll get there...

After breakfast I usually have a little bit of resting time until my working shift starts in the hostel. At 10am I started changing bedsheets with Tisha, a lovely Chinese lady. We don't really understand each orher but that's OK, we use sign language and a few words she knows like: no, later, clean, change. 

I had a talk with the staff manager and she was curious about my 'gym class teaching' in the past. This got me promoted to 'gym teacher'. So from now on, I will start at 10am with a 1h BLT-class (butt, legs, tummy) and after that I go back to changing beds...
I would say this is a win-win situation. At least I get to work on my body too!

I tried to go to a yoga class, but they're extremely expensive around here. I could do it on my own, but I haven't found a quiet place yet. This is a big and busy city...

Yesterday - after my nap - I went for dinner in Little India (again) and had a delicious freshly baked naanbread with a vegetable curry. I went to a indian hawker place (food center), where it's full of food stands. Lots of choice and pretty cheap!


On the way I enjoyed the sight of a temple. It amazed me how much detail there is to it!


Another neighbourhood I hadn't explored yet, was: Kampong Glam. A very hip place, lots of nice bars and restaurants and last by not least: the Sultan Mosque


My imagination started working...1001 nights, Agrabah, Aladdin, magic lamps, flying carpets, me in the local clothing. If I still had space in my backpack, I might have bought an indian or an arab wardrobe. 

Next stop: the Marina Bay in all it's glory.
A little further than Suntec City, with its Fountain of Wealth, you can already see the Singapore Flyer.


What I saw next, took my breath away for a second:


I didn't know where to look first. What caught my attention was the Artscience Museum, in the form of a lotus flower and then the Marina Sands Hotel with its skypark. 


Normally you have to pay 20$ to get in, but I sneaked into the guest elevator. To go up you need a roomkey if course. I didn't know that, but I noticed when the elevator was going down in stead of up after my command. So I just stood there and waited until some huests came in and when they used their key, I pushed my button first so it would accept the command of going all the way up. It worked!

What I didn't know was, was the fact that I got on the rooftop through a different entry and I only had a view over the bay and the Garden by the Bay. At first I thought it was a pitty, but then again, most people only see the other side, so I have a more 'exclusive' view! 


My feet were already hurting and I still wanted to go to the Garden by the Bay - the area where you see the futuristic 'Avatar' trees. From up there it seemed a very long walk. Probably it was, but I reallllllllyyyy wanted to go there and before I knew it I found myself saying 'oooh' and 'aaaah' and feeling like a child in a playground. Dedication and perseverence are 2 powerful tools! 



It's almost time for my first gymclass! 

See ya!

Labels: , ,