Singapore - getting started

It took me a while to get here. 30 hours to be exact. Of course it's totally worth it, but I prefer shorter travel times...

Why Singapore? Because I have a friend there and I promised I would visit sometimes if I'm in the "neighbourhood". I met Keith in Leuven. He was traveling in Europe after graduation and needed someone to show him around Leuven. And that's how I made a friend on the other side of the world.

Going into the city from the airport is very easy! There is a metro line (the MRT) and you can buy an EZ-link card for 12SD (equals 7,5€), of which 5SD is refunded if you return the card.

If you're looking to save money on accomodation you can off course couchsurf or you can contact hostels and ask to do voluntary work in exchange for free stay and breakfast. That's what I did.
Today I cleaned 3 showers. Tomorrow I'll probably change bedsheets. Usually you won't work longher than 3 or 4 hours. It's an experience...I wouldn't do this everywhere but in a city where accomodation costs over €10 per night, it's worthwile to try this.

The afternoon I strolled around Little Ibdia, looking for food. I stumbled upon a place called "Muthu's Curry" and as a curry lover, I could not not stop...


Afterwards I walked in the direction of Orchard Road, apparently a 'must see'.

I discovered some nice things along the way...








I look forward to tomorrow! The first impression of Singapore is: "wauw so much green!"

Labels: , , ,