Singapore - hotspots

It's been a week now since I laid foot on Asian ground. Like any traveler, I went places, usually 2 activities per afternoon [in the morning I'm volunteering in my hostel]. People told me I shouldn't stay more than 4 or 5 days in Singapore. If you go there as a tourist, I can understand... 

After 3 days, I took it easy with my exploring. 1 place at a time, a little bit of chilling is alowed! 

These are the following places I have visited so far:

1. Botanic Garden

Nice to go early in the morning or later in the afternoon when it cools down - as far as it can cool down in Singapore...

I was there around 2pm, not a good idea, too hot!

I didn't enter the areas with an entrance fee, but just did a tour around the garden. You could bring a blanket, food and deinks and picknick!





If you're lucky, there is a performance of the orchestra going on. I wasn't that lucky, but lucky enough to enjoy this view!


And last, but not least: Swan Lake - without swans...I didn't see one. 

2. Chinatown

Since it's almost Chinese New Year, Chinatown was very croweded. The streets are decorated with red and yellow/gold and monkey pictures. 2016 is the year of the monkey.




They were selling lots of typical Chinese cookies. I just tried a piece...they were very expensive!

One of the joys of Singapore is the presence of the hawker centers (food centers), where you can eat typical local - and very cheap - food. I couldn't miss out on this one...



3. Clarke Quay 

A very hip & trendy neighbourhood around the Singapore river. A very popular place amongst expats. I wondered why...until I saw all the 'foreign' restaurants and bars: Spanish, Italian, Mexican, German, even Belgian!



It was in this neighbourhood that I found a hidden gem! •••The Book Cafe•••

I didn't just stumbled upon it, Si gapore is just too big for that. But I search for the things I love...books & coffee. And there you go!

4. Din Tai Fung

After I met my Singaporean friend Keith, he took me to Din Tai Fung, to have dinner. This should be a very popular place out here. It is Vietnamese cuisine and they are specialized in dumplings. You can even see how the chefs are making them through a glass window. It's like a human conveyor belt! Their hands are moving so fast! 

The next day I went back by myself for some take away! 

5. Thaipusam Festival

I'm lucky again! In the Indian community they celebrate Thaipusam every year and I just happen to be here at the right time in the right place! 

They are holding processions from early morning until late in the evening from one temple to another, a journey of about 4kms. The participants in the procession can not join freely, they have to be chosen by someone in the temple community. They are 'chosen ones'.

But for what? For something that looks very very painful! They have to carry large 'decorations' that are stuck to their bodies, with pins going through their skin for extra adhesion. Auch!!


Some other attractions that seem to be a 'must see', but which I am going to skip due to budget and time (yes time...) restrictions: Sea Aquarium (the biggest in the world), Santosa Island, the Zoo and Night Safari. I prefer to spend my money on yoga classes here and to save it for my boat trips when I go island hopping in Thailand. 

Labels: , ,