Thailand - Koh Lanta

Koh Lanta should be a relaxed island. Still, like every island it has its particular party beach, but if you know which one it is, you can perfectly avoid it. And that I did! 

The first things I look up in a new place: yoga studio, coffeebar, good restaurants.

The day I arrived, I've spent my afternoon in a lovely place called "KUNDA". It's a vegan bar/restaurant. It was an inspiring place, where I met Rachel and ate the best homemade bread in a long time.


•••homemade bread with tzatziki•••

Rachel is a teacher who lives in Bangkok and who's friend owns a yoga studio in Koh Lanta. This meeting was meant to be :)

We talked for a long time and would meet each other probably the next day in yoga class. We did. As a result she later invited me to stay with her when I will visit Bangkok. I am looking forward to it!

The next day I rented a scoooter to get around the island. It's full of scooters in Thailand! They also sell gasoline every 50m and I wondered why. It's for all the stupid tourists that don't know they have to fuel the scooter immediately after renting...Luckily I only had to push the scooter for 5m to the tank station 🙈.


After yogaclass at Oasis Yoga, I hung around for a little bit to enjoy one of their jummy smooties *Buddha Berry* in this very relaxing little hut.


There is not very much to see on Koh Lanta itself. There are 2 caves and a zoo called Elephant Trekking, where people can go and ride elephants. I'm still afraid of spiders, so I avoid caves and the other one is just too cruel! 

But there is Koh Lanta Old Town, very small but charming! There's a pier and seaside restaurants with an amazing view. 

You can eat pretty cheap here in comparison to the rest of the island, especially if you choose the non-seaview restaurants. I was advised to try a roti with banana and nutella. A roti is a Thai pancake, but you can also have it with curry, so not only a sweet version.

•••roti•••

•••traditional cooking, you can visit the kitchen while they cook•••

I've been eating a lot of green curries since I've got here. I guess it was time for me to learn how to make it myself so I can copy it back home. So I took a Thai cooking class with Lanta Thai Cookery School.


We chose 4 dishes to make: Tam Yom (Thai soup), fresh spring rolls, Pad Thai (stirfried noodles) and green curry (!).

•••Tam Yom•••

•••fresh spring rolls•••

•••Pad Thai•••

•••green curry•••

My last day I followed again the advice of my friends Annelies & Wesley, who had been to Koh Lanta, to go on the '4 islands tour'. And so I did. And how grateful I am that I have listened!

I have seen the most amazing beach so far! It was so breathtaking that I even forgot my pretty new and expensive snorkel & mask on the beach...and as if I cared...it made me raise my shoulders and with a smile on my face I told my fellow travelers: "Oh well, at least I don't have to carry it around any more, I'm lighter now." 





•••bye bye snorkel, enjoy the pretty island! I'm jealous of you!•••

When we thought we had seen it all, our boat driver stops at the last island Koh Mook. Just another beach or snorkeling spot some of the other travelers were saying. I had read about the Emerald Cave. You swim into the cave, through a tunnel - it gets pretty dark! - and at the end of the darkness you see the light. And you get a hell of a surprise! A secret beach!




Next: Koh Phangan for kitesurfing, yoga and...let's see what else! 

Labels: , , ,